Why laser hair reduction?
Laser Hair Reduction permanently reduces unwanted hair on the face, legs, back, bikini area, and chest using light energy to target and destroy hair follicles.
Conventional hair removal methods, such as shaving, waxing or depilatories, are time-consuming and provide only short term results. Laser hair reduction treatments are safe, simple, and quick, with long-lasting results.
How does it work?
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) works by directing a light based energy to the hair follicles. Only hair follicles in an active growth phase are effected by IPL treatments. Usually, that is about 10% – 20% of the hair in the treatment area (at the time of treatment). Hair follicles in their active growing stage will die and fall out in 2 to 10 days. Depending on the treated body area, we will wait 4 to 6 weeks for your next treatment. This period allows a meaningful amount of the remaining hair to move into the active growing phase so that your next treatment removes the maximum amount of hair. Therefore, most clients will need 6 to 8 treatments to achieve maximum results.
Pre Treatment Preparation
- The treatment area needs to be shaved to skin level, although 1 day of hair growth may be necessary and helpful so that the area that requires treatment is easily recognizable.
- You must avoid waxing, plucking, threading or electrolysis of the hair for 4-6 weeks prior to treatment. The laser needs the hair at skin level in order to effectively destroy the hair follicle.
- Be sure that the treatment area is fully washed off and has no makeup, medication etc.
- Patients on Accutane must wait until they have been off the medication for 6 months prior to starting and IPL treatments, Retin-A (retinol) should be avoided on the treatment area for at least 2 weeks prior to IPL treatments. These medications, and several others, can make your skin susceptible to damage from the laser. Please discuss with our laser technician all medications and skin care products you are currently using.
- IPL treatments are not recommended if you are pregnant.
Post Treatment Care
- Avoid bathing or washing with very hot water, Use tepid water. Wash gently. Keep the area clean.
- Do not shave the treated area immediately after treatment.
- Avoid any irritating medications or chemicals. Examples of these are Retin-A, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid or astringents.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 3 weeks after treatment. Protect the area with a sunscreen of higher than 30 SPF or else the skin may develop hyper-pigmentation/hypo-pigmentation marks.
- The treated area may become pink, red, inflamed within 30 minutes and in rare instances last several hours. Application of ice or cooling gel may be needed.
- Do not wax, pluck, thread or use depilatories for the hair that grows back.